As more and more contests have taken place; it has become evident that so called 'microstates' have had an advantage over other countries, as they could choose a song from any of their neighbours (sometimes up to 3 major countries), in any language.
Microstates in the contest have included:
Other states with small populations in the contest have included:
- Andorra – The artist must be either Andorran or born in a province of Catalonia, Spain (Barcelona, Girona, Lleida or Tarragona)
- Monaco – Monaco are free to enter ALL French artists. However, no other nationalities are eligible to represent Monaco, this includes an artist featuring in a duet with a French artist *cough Tom Dice cough*
- Faroe Islands – There must be a Faroese artist featured on the entry. Unlike Monaco, artists from other countries can feature on the entry.
- San Marino – San Marino are free to enter ANY Italian artist into the contest.
- Liechtenstein – Liechtenstein are allowed to enter artists from the German speaking areas of Switzerland, bear with me (Aargau, Appenzell Ausserrhoden, Appenzell Innerrhoden, Basel, Glarus, Lucerne, Nidwalden, Obwalden, Schaffhausen, Schwyz, Solothurn, St. Gallen,Thurgau, Uri, Zug, Zurich)
Many forum members have expressed a desire to stop microstates participating at all, however, most seem content with the rules implemented in the 9th contest.